Sunday, January 2, 2011

Happy New Year- starting a new tradition using an old tradition


This year I decided to start our own Bristow tradition for the New Year and years to come. Now I'm not very superstitious or tend to believe in luck but I thought it would be nice to use some of the New Years Lucky foods as a tradition for our New Years Dinner. Some of the foods mentioned for Americans are; Pork, Legumes (beans) most people use Black eye peas, Green leafy veggies (collards, cabbage, mustard, etc.) all supposedly to bring and represent prosperity and wealth for the new year. I figured it would be nice to cook the same dinner every year to give our family now a traditional dinner to look forward to every year. Some of the recipes I used were some of my own while others are credited to my Maternal Grandmother, Peggy Wilson and Maternal Great Grandmother Bertha Fields. Although they are both well and living, these recipes will hopefully live on when we all leave this side of Heaven. Here are some of the items I whipped up, which my husband LOVED, for our New Year Dinner 2011





prepping collards



Collards cooked Grandma Bert style



Lemon Cake courtesy of my Grandma Peggy's recipe




homemade glaze



Pork Chops




Cornbread



And of course Sparkling White Grape Juice for us non drinkers

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad